1. Lay flat on your back.
2. Bring both legs up at a 90-degree angle, so that from the side your body makes an
L shape. Make sure they are turned out.
3. Spread your legs out to the sides as if you were doing a straddle in the air. Your body should make a T shape on the floor. Hold that position.
4. Flex your feet to feel the stretch even more.
1. Lunge sideways to the right and hold it. Turn to that direction and hold for two counts of 8.
2. Repeat with the left leg.
3. Go into a very low grande plie with your legs apart, in a wide second position.
4. Slowly lower into a straddle. When you get as far as you can go, support yourself with your elbows. Hold this position.
5. Lower your body the rest of the way so that you are lying belly-down on the floor. Your body should look something like a Y shape, with your legs as far as they can get to going into a middle split. Hold this position.
1. Sit with your right leg straight in front of you and your left leg bent behind you.Touch your nose to your front knee and hold that position.
2. Slowly straighten out your back leg to get into the split position, or as far as you can go.
3. Turn your body so that you legs are in the split, but your upper torso is facing the right side (or the same side as the front leg) Hold this position.
4. Repeat steps 1-3 with the left leg.
1. Lay flat on your back with your legs straight in front of you.
2. Take your right leg and pull it up towards your chest. Hold that position.
3. Take your right leg and slowly bring it to your side. Hold there.
4. Bring your leg back in front of you and let go of it. Hold it as high as it will go. Make sure your keep your hips in front of you.
5. Lower your right leg and repeat with the left leg.
or Sit in a split position as far down as you can comfortably go. Place your hands on the floor for balance if necessary. Hold for 10 seconds.
Now squeeze your legs for 10 seconds as if you were scissoring them together. You know, like one of those breakdancers who go all the way down and back up without using their hands.After you squeeze for 10, relax for 10 and see how much further down you can go. Repeat these steps two more times.
Another regime by a fellow dancer from Dance.net
Click Picture to view the routine for stretching.
Just elevate your leg on something, be it pillows, a book, a chair, anything while splitting sideways. If you have a small oversplit, see how many books you can fit under your front foot while in the splits. Gradually increase that number. Don't just do it at the height that is comfortable. To really stretch it, make the object a couple inches higher than where your oversplit is and just hold your self up with your hands to support yourself. OUUUUUCH!!!!
Y-stands or Heel Stretches
-While holding onto a ledge, barre, etc., grab your foot and lift it as high as it will go while keeping your hips square. Then let go of your leg and try to balance it. -Also try resting your leg on the back of a chair or window sill or something high. Try to lift your leg a couple inches off and just hold it there.
ENJOY! AND HAPPY STRETCHING! Your splits will eventually come! No Pain....No gain. ehehehhe
Tuesday, August 07, 2007